Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Why I "Hate" (Dislike) (the Catholic) Church So Much

First of all, I'm "picking" on the Catholic Church because it's the only church I've experienced. Therefore, it's all I know to create my own opinions about. I think I dislike all organized religions. I don't know. I guess you can decide if that's the case once I post my critiques.

I don't like someone telling me what to do for the most part to begin with. I don't think most people do. I like having rules and instructions, but when it comes to something like faith, I really don't like someone telling me what to do, and that is how I see organized religions. Giving you rules to worship and telling you it's all or nothing with their rules to be accepted by them. I don't think that God (Yes, I do believe in God and Jesus Christ.) thinks that you have to follow all these rules that men created to be accepted by Him. Most religions think it's their way or no way to get into Heaven or whatever pleasant afterlife in which they believe. I don't agree with that at all. I think that as long as you're a good person, you get into Heaven/pleasant afterlife. What dictates a "good person"? I think we all know how to be a decent human being. My father once told me that the voice inside you that tells you whether you should or shouldn't do something--you know, your conscience--is the voice of God in you. That probably sounds cheesy and holy roller, but I agree with that. It makes sense. Use your best judgement to be a good person, and I think you'll get into Heaven.

Another point I feel like I have to make about rules of the Catholic Church is that they're (the rules are) created not by God but by men! These men claim that this one was told from this one who was told by God (more or less) that this is how you should live your life. I do not believe that literally. I took a Bible literature class in college (because even if I don't agree with it, I like it as a story and I like to learn about what I'm going to claim to disagree with), and one of the points that were made was that some biblical scholars believe that the Bible isn't even supposed to be taken literally. Instead, the stories are parables (I think is the word) that are supposed to teach lessons. THAT makes a lot more sense. Still, I don't agree with every rule. Although, I do think that many of the rules can help make you a better person, and I think we should all strive to be our very best and always work on improving. We'll never be perfect, and that's okay. No human is, but I don't think we should settle either. I like to start with the Ten Commandments as guidelines to being a good person. I do not remember all of them yet. Perhaps I will look them up soon, but I remember that you should not covet (want) your neighbors' house. I take that almost literally. I don't know if I should, but I think it basically goes back to "The grass isn't always greener on the other side," and some things might look great but there's more than meets the eye. This is especially pertinent with the popularity of social media now. We judge other people by their social media posts, and we compare ourselves to people using social media and think their lives are better than ours because their posts look beautiful. People tend to post their highlight reel on social media. They don't feel the urge to post when they're upset or going through hard times. There are more important things than social media at those times. Even when you're happy and things are working out, there are more important things than social media, but you know what I mean! I don't think that people purposefully hide their bad times from social media to make themselves look good. I think that it's just that--again--there are other things people are worried about besides social media when life feels like it sucks. I attempt to post the mundane, too, but I still haven't posted the crap yet. I fear looking like an attention seeker. I know that I shouldn't care what other people think, but I can't help it sometimes.

Going back to the religion topic, I feel like religion is a personal affair. I don't think it has to be. I think it's okay if you want to make it a social thing, but I feel like the Catholic Church especially turns it into if you make your worship personal, you're ashamed to admit your faith to the public. Hence all the click bait-y Facebook posts with Jesus saying something along the lines of, "Share if you're not afraid to accept me in front of your friends." Those posts shame you into not sharing as if you're not proud of your faith, but I really think those people just want a popular/viral posts.

Finally, I dislike and seem to disagree with Catholicism so much, but I feel the need to baptize my children as Catholics. It might be fear, but I feel like it's my conscience telling me it's the right thing to do. Also going back to a previous point, I don't think that there is only one way to get into Heaven. Therefore, contrary to what I was taught in one of my world history classes in college that some people and faiths believe, tying yourself down to one religion does not damn you if it ends up being the wrong religion in the end. Therefore, I really don't think baptizing my children as Catholics will be very consequential. It will put me (and admittedly much of my family) at ease to have my children baptized as Catholics. Then, I will let them decide how they want to worship if they want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment