Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Danielle Tullo of Cosmopolitan Thinks We Need To Stop Saying "Adulting," But I Disagree

I read this article on Cosmo's Snapchat story last night, and I have to say that I disagree with it. I think it was too harsh. I TOTALLY understand some of Ms. Tullo's points, but it's the way that she interprets the word with which I disagree. She has the right to interpret things the way she likes, but I have the right to interpret it differently and talk about that. I agree with the evidence she uses to support her points. It's the points themselves that I disagree with...if that makes sense.

I need to start this with a disclosure. I am very literal as in in arguments, it is not uncommon for me to send screenshots of a word from Merriam-Webster online. Maybe that's annoying to some people, but think before you speak. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. It's how we communicate with people. No one can read your mind.

This is very important to remember in my first point. "'Adulting' also known as 'existing.'" I will put the definitions of both side by side. I'll even use the definition of adulting from Ms. Tullo's article:
"Urban Dictionary defines 'adulting' as 'to do grown up things and hold responsibilities such as a 9-5 job, a mortgage/rent, a car payment, or anything else that makes one think of grown ups."
Merriam-Webster defines existing (exist) as "to have actual being," or, "to be real."
Therefore, adulting is NOT also known as existing.

Next, "'Adulting' implies that being an adult is not a necessary part of growing up, but rather a life choice you're hesitant to fully buy into." Maybe I'm wrong, but I think what something implies is subjective and/or a matter of opinion because people understand, comprehend, and interpret things differently from one another. I do not think that adulting implies what Ms. Tullo thinks it implies. It doesn't imply anything to me besides what it means. To me, adulting implies you're performing tasks that children are not expected to perform. That's it! In my opinion.

Third, "Cara is smart and has a great career, but when she talks about making dinner like it's her biggest accomplishment to date, she downplays all of her impressive achievements." I'm somewhat torn on this point. On one hand, I agree that if Cara thinks making dinner is impressive, it downplays her great career. On the other hand, maybe she and others who use the term adulting feel accomplished that on top of handling a great career well and all the steps to get there, they also managed to soldier through cooking a nutritious dinner instead of opting for take-out or whatever junk food was already waiting to be eaten. Like Ms. Tullo quotes Cara in saying, "[But] it just feels good to be self-sufficient in small ways." Yes, Danielle, it does! That is what I think people's points are in using the term adulting. They're excited to not have given into the temptation to be lazy and get nothing done but instead be proactive in taking the steps necessary to create the life they want to live.

I think you read too much into adulting and took a cynical point of view. Maybe I'm reading too much into adulting and took an optimistic point of view. To each their own!

Please, discuss your own opinions below.(: And if Danielle Tullo does happen to come across this (ha!), please, feel free to leave a rebuttal below. I welcome it. I'm all for civil debates. Call it my anxiety or human nature, but arguments and attacks on differing opinions make me want to cry and vomit...vomit tears and cry vomit...

No comments:

Post a Comment