Saturday, April 2, 2016

My problem with SOME quotes about losing friends

I LOVE quotes. When I need a quick reminder of what's important to me or to put things in perspective when I'm worried, upset, or unmotivated, quotes personally help me so much. That's not to say you should live your life by every quote, though. Many quotes can contradict each other. Anyone can make a quote, and many people do. Quotes are like advice like I mentioned in my last post. You don't have to agree with or follow every single one. Find the ones you truly believe in your heart and your gut, and use those when you're in any sort of rut. One style of quotes I have a problem with, though, are quotes about lost friendships, not all of them but some of them. For example, this one by Mandy Hale posted by one of my favorite Instagram accounts @25park:
On the surface, it's a good quote. You're not going to lose your real friends. On the other side, I don't like what I personally interpret from it. Any time you lose a friend, they were automatically not true or shitty or any other negative adjective. I don't believe that that's always true. Sometimes, it's trial and error. You and another person have some things in common, so you talk. You even like them a lot sometimes! But then, y'all disagree, even less frequently than you agree, but when you disagree, it drains everything from you or is important to you for one reason or another. In my case, I decided to stop being friends with someone because they were too sensitive in my opinion. I consider myself a good and caring person. I have many wonderful friends who would agree with this. I'm a joker, though. Joking helps me cope with bad things in my life, and I have this ability to push aside, "Wow, this is a really bad situation," make some jokes about it, and enjoy the humor in the jokes, or what I think is funny. I can appreciate the humor regardless of the situation. My friend couldn't. The whole picture mattered to her, and jokes were inappropriate. I'm not saying she's wrong, but I didn't like that. I'm not like that. I had to filter myself around her, and I didn't like that. I felt like the smallest things would set her off and offend her. She probably felt the same way about things she said sometimes, too, and how I reacted. Instead of pointing fingers and saying she was the bad friend, I can admit with both may have handled some things at some points poorly, but neither of us are bad people. We're just different. Some differences are tolerable for both people, and sometimes they're tolerable for only one or neither of them. I didn't like how sensitive she was. There's nothing wrong with her. She's just not someone for me, and I'm not someone for her. 

A lot of this world is so polarized--one thing or another, right and wrong, good or bad. We forget about the grays--more than one right. Someone not wanting to be your friend or you not wanting to be someone else's friend doesn't make anything wrong with either one of you! We all have preferences and opinions. It's what makes humans fun and interesting and finding people you do hold on to that much more special. Out of billions of people, wow, you can tolerate these few completely differences and all. That's freaking special. But it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the people you can't tolerate. Likewise, you're not narrow-minded or an asshole just because you can't tolerate someone enough to be his or her friend. And even if you were friends or "friends" (tried being friends) with someone for a little while and it didn't work out, it doesn't mean y'all weren't real friends or that y'all were bad friends. It just means y'all aren't meant to be friends. We need to get over this world of pointing fingers and this obsession of placing blame. No one is worse or better than anyone for deciding not to be friends with someone. Nobody is perfect. We will slip up sometimes and do something that was poor judgement, but that doesn't make us a bad friend. We're constantly learning and growing up and maturing. Please, remember this the next time you see a quote of this nature or want to post a quote of this nature or use such a phrase to console someone who's lost a friend. Do not bash the person who decided to not be friends with your friend to make your friend feel better. That is a terrible practice. If you have to tear someone down to make yourself better, you need to look inside yourself and work on yourself first. Make yourself better. Don't make people less than you. Learn from your mistakes. Think before you speak. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Thinking it to yourself is just as bad as saying it out loud. Remember that. Better yourself within to better the world around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment